COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECT BUILDING BRIDGE
THE PROJECT BRIEF
Construct a cement bridge over a canal around in a very poor community with few resources.
THE NEED OF THE PROJECT
The Mekong Delta is mostly wet land with thousands of canals for transporting goods by boat. However, local people can’t easily cross these canals by foot or bicycle. The local people often rely on flimsy bamboo bridges, which are cheap but also very dangerous. A cement bridge will help:
- Children and adults to cross the canals safely.
- Children to take a shortcut to school.
- Stimulate the local economy by allowing motorbikes and bicycles to transport fruits and other goods.
WHY SHOULD WE BUILD
WHAT TO DO
- Cut steel rods and wave frames.
- Mix cement, rock, sand to make mortar.
- Make concrete plates with all of those.
- Put concrete plates to the bridge frame.
- Make mobile plate by wood and hammer.
- Make road to the bridge.
- Decorate the bridge.
- Day 1: Transportation in the morning, meeting the community and help to flatten the road.
- Day 2: Help carry brick, cement, sand and rocks. Make mortar to build the road
- Day 3 – 5: Continue to build the road.
- Day 6: Finish construction and participate in a bridge opening ceremony with the community. Transportation to Saigon in the afternoon.